Getting Married on Norfolk Island
The Commonwealth of Australia Marriage Act 1961 extends to Norfolk Island. In addition, Norfolk Island has its own legislation in relation to Births, Deaths and Marriages.
To be legally married in Norfolk Island you must:
- not be married to someone else
- not be marrying a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild or sibling
- be at least eighteen years old, unless a court has approved a marriage where one party is aged between sixteen and eighteen years old
- understand what marriage means and freely consent to marrying
- use specific words during the ceremony; and
- give written notice of their intention to marry to their authorised celebrant within the required time frame
For more information regarding the requirements of getting married on Norfolk Island you may contact the Registrar or Deputy Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
Finding a celebrant
Only an authorised celebrant can legally perform your marriage. Authorised celebrants perform civil and religious ceremonies.
There are three kinds of authorised celebrants:
- Commonwealth registered marriage celebrants who perform civil and religious ceremonies (for independent religious organisations).
- Ministers of religion of a recognised denomination who perform religious ceremonies. These celebrants are regulated by state and territory registries of births, deaths and marriages and their respective religious organisation.
- State and Territory officers who perform civil ceremonies. On Norfolk Island the Registrar and Deputy Registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages are authorised to solemnise marriages.
Commonwealth Registered Marriage Celebrants:
The Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages:
New Military Barracks
Kingston, Norfolk Island 2899
Phone: + 672 3 22001 ext. 126 (Deputy) or 120 (Registrar)
Email: registrar [at] BDM.gov.nf
Uniting Church, Cascade Road
Phone: +6723 22179
Catholic Presbytery, Queen Elizabeth Ave
Phone: +6723 22763
Church of England, Headstone Road
Phone: +6723 22293
Jehovah Witness, Grassy Road
Phone: +6723 23360
Seventh Day Adventist, New Cascade Road
Phone: +6723 22201